Saturday, 2 November 2013

Salmacis

My inspiration for Salmacis was initially the Peter Gabriel-era Genesis song The Fountain of Salmacis. I'm a big fan of their album The Musical Box, and this is what brought the story of Salmacis and Hermaphroditus to my attention.I love the tale as regaled in Ovid's Metamorphoses Book IV.

The naiad Salmacis falls for Hermaphroditus, the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, and when he resists her rather forceful attentions, the nymph prays to Hera to allow them both to be joined forever.

I initially envisaged this as a screen play, but I am now in the long process of converting what I've done so far into prose. In the meantime, please see the below video, which is the words of Ovid put to googled images of the story and the sounds of Genesis.


No comments:

Post a Comment